Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What Rhymes With Anxious?

My surgery is just about a week away. While I am very excited to have the procedure done, I am becoming increasingly anxious. I keep thinking about the fact that I won't be able to work out for about 6 weeks, specifically, no yoga for about 6 weeks. Aside from the fact that yoga (in conjunction with coffee and zoloft 'natch) keep me sane, yoga keeps me limber and strong. Yoga keeps my weight low(ish).  Yoga helps to flush all the toxins out of my system and reminds me to stop and focus on the breath.  Yoga reminds me that I could, one day, be the complete person I want to be. And the fact that I won't be able to practice for such an extended amount of time is almost heartbreaking for me.

This impending absence in my life has lead to even more presurgery anxiety. And when I'm anxious, I eat. I am excellent at eating away my worries and sorrows. And of course, the foods I tend to binge on are probably the worst things for you.  Chocolate, pasta, pizza, cheese, fruit, pastry, cake, ice cream. The last few days alone have been spent consuming my weight in things that could easily double that weight if I continue down this delicious path. I'm in panic mode. I am terrified of putting on a ton of weight and losing all of my muscle tone. I'm worried that I won't be able to get back into shape after I return to working out. These fears have taken a back seat to the fear of the pain, possible infections, the fact that I will look and very much feel differently about myself. But I can easily complain about not working out because that is tangible. And  as superficial as it may be, it is easily  understood.

Most people don't like to talk about the messy stuff (feelings) and I just want to put on a brave face for my husband and children. So I just stuff those feelings down with scones which will lead to me stuffing my fat ass into my soon to be too small jeans.  But I will have a great new rack, and that's pretty good, right?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, honey everything will work out. Be brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the surgery. I understand the anxiety and worry...I think its normal to worry about how it will all go. Its ok to eat your weight in scones too, before my CS I was burying myself in ice cream sundaes. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete