Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Phase One

Alright kiddos, I had a bilateral breast reduction surgery on Friday, January 27th. There has been a lot of build up leading to my surgery because this is something I have wanted for quite awhile. I wanted to post something the night before surgery but I was really anxious and excited and the words weren't coming out right at all. I figured I would be better articulating my thoughts and emotions after the procedure was done, after the anticipation, after the pain meds wore off. You can catch up with the pre surgery stuff in earlier posts.

The night before surgery I had to fast, which is probably my least favorite part of surgery. Seriously. I love to eat and I NEED my morning coffee. I ate a pretty substantial dinner, put the kids to bed, checked on some last minute things for the kids. I had to remove any and all piercings (I have a few in my ears) and remove any nail polish. I was exhausted and went to bed on the earlier side. I woke up and P and I got the kids ready for school. I took a shower and washed my hair knowing that it could be quite a few days before I would be able to wash it again. I did one last big poop and knowing that it would be the last one for few days, I savored it. Yes, I savored dropping a deuce.

I needed to be at the hospital by 10 am to prep for surgery that was scheduled at noon. We headed into MGH and for once we were crazy early. After about 20 minutes I was called in by the nurse who started all of my pre surgery paperwork. I was in a room and changed into a hospital gown, robe, compression hose and non skid socks. While I was waiting for P to be brought up I was kept "entertained" by the insane couple curtained off next to me. I love listening to townies talk. Paul came up and we watched "Supernatural" until a CNA came up and brought me down to what seemed more like a closet than a prep area.

I was brought down into the what reminded me of a hospital basement. I immediately assumed that I was going to be brought down, hooked up to an i.v. and then left to die at the hands of a serial killer/homicidal ghost. Obviously, neither happened. Instead I had a great nurse talk to me about my health history, allergies, blah blah blah. The anesthesiologist was a  guy with a thick Chinese accent and a great sense of humor. That guy inserted that i.v. needle with a stealthiness I could really appreciate. I was asked by the nurse if I had been marked yet. Since this was my first foray into plastic surgery I had no idea what that meant so I said, "Marked? Like, marked by the Beast?" We had a good laugh but she checked the back of my head under my hair for good measure.

My doctor came in and began marking me. He asked if his Resident could watch. I told him I wasn't that kind of girl anymore but I figured it would be okay one last time. At that point I think my breasts had been looked at and/or touched by a dozen or so people so really, a medical resident who would be watching the surgery anyway watching my doctor coloring on me was not a big deal. After I was marked I was instructed to lay back down and I was wheeled into the OR. The nurses in there were all so sweet and funny. I still wasn't nervous at that point and one of the women commented on how nice it was that I was joking and laughing. The nurses put some compression boots on my legs so I wouldn't develop any blood clots. I was given some oxygen and then my i.v. started to kick in. Bye bye old saggy heavy breasts. Thanks for the good times. See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment