Friday, September 23, 2011

When It's Time to Change....

     The Autumnal Equinox is upon us kids and with each new season comes a wave of change. The Winter is a cold hard time where plants and animals escape the bitterness by hunkering down, hiding  and hiberbating; waiting until the Spring brings a little bit of warmth, sunshine and linger days, an awakening. The Summer gives us heat and sunshine that goes past childrens bedtimes. The Fall brings us change. It brings about a shedding of sorts and a need for preparedness. The trees drop their leaves. The animals forage and store food. The weather cools and we begin our subconsious descent into a slower time, a longer night. I love the Fall. I love that manditory change.
      I can't stop the seasons. I can't stop time and the Fall reminds me to accept these changes.  It's in those moments that I choose to breathe. Breathe deeply and let go. Sit and watch the leaves move in the breeze. Feel the chill in the air and wrap your arms a little more tightly around yourself. Take a walk and listen and feel and just breathe in the changes.  Accept what is going on around you and embrace it. Be thankful for this reminder, the reminder that sometimes there are things we can't control. Sometimes things in our lives will change, will wither, will leave. We may want to run but we shouldn't because change will always catch up with you. I'm going to try and be more like the tree than the leaf. I will drop the things I need to let go of to change, to become a better  more deeply rooted person. I will try and be the tree.
     Yes Ned Stark, the Winter is indeed coming. I think the Fall is a brilliant and beautiful way to cast things off and prepare for the darker, more cold days ahead. Shed what we don't need in order to focus on what we do for the what we may face ahead. Let go and accept and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment