Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Hate to Quarrel With You Biggie But...

     I've had this song in my head all morning.  http://youtu.be/nIyzG8i7Kg0 At first I was singing along, working it the only way I know how (which is fabulously, by the way) when I stopped suddenly. While "Mo Money, Mo Problems" makes a better song title than, say, "Less Money, Mo Problems" the first just doesn't make any kind of sense to me.
     Puffy (or Sean Combs, or Diddy, or Diddy Dirty Money, whoever he is this week) raps about his yacht (I don't even have a raft made of twigs) and his numerous Rolex watches (my wrist is bare) and I was wondering how having these extravegant items were possibly hindering his advancements in life. I decided to play detective (which means I googled his net worth and went with the first website that popped up) to find that his current 2011 net worth, according to Forbes magazine, is 475 MILLION dollars, making Sean Combs the Richest Rapper in the Game.  Real Estate properties are not something that he is running short on. He is currently selling his New York City townhouse. The listed price on that is 17 million. He is also selling his New Jersey mansion. The asking price on that Bad Boy (pun entirely intended) is 13.5 million. He currently owns a 15 million dollar home in Miami (recently purchased from Tommy Matolla) as well as a large estate in Atlanta and a summer mansion in the Hamptons. I can barely afford my house in Central MA and I'm in panic mode with the winterizing that MUST be done in the next month. Diddy drives a Lamborghini. The starting MSRP on a basic model is $199,000. And Sean Combs treats his kids great. He bought his son, for his 16th birthday a $360,000 car (which is, by the way, what my house cost. My HOUSE.) The best part of that whole thing is, that at the time he was given the car, his son did not have a drivers license. Am I too old to be adopted?
     The Notorious B.I.G., still deceased, has a net worth of 160 MILLION dollars. And he's dead. Christopher Wallace is dead and he is still making more money than me. But I guess I win in that respect because I am here blogging while Biggie obviously isn't.
     Famous people really can't bitch about their vast wealth causing problems in their lives. People busting their asses and still living next paycheck to next paycheck have a right to complain. Parents who can't afford basic things like food, clothing and shelter for their kids because they don't have enough money can complain. Things like not having the "luxury" of health insurance give folks the right to be a little perturbed. The elderly and the destitute sleeping in the kitchen next to an open oven because that is their only means of staying warm have the right be pissed off. Rich people who live in 15 million dollar homes, who drive Rolls Royces, who wear Rolex watches and Louboutan shoes and have warm homes in the winter, cool summer homes by the ocean, the money on hand to pay for doctors visits really can't justifiably complain that more money cause more problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment